Tips For Hosting A Watch Party With Friends
The ‘watch party’ is indeed a new fad. When the pandemic made its debut, and we all thought it’s the end of the world. The trend of ‘watch party’ came to our rescue. It’s nothing but a way of enjoying movies or TV shows together with your family and friends while social distancing. Today, in this blog, we will tell you how you can throw a successful watch party with just a few clicks.
But before you get on with your watch party, here are some great dining deals that will ensure you and your friends are accompanied with awesome food!
1. Netflix Watch Party
First in the list is Netflix Party extension for Google Chrome browser. It lets you watch Netflix movie or show with your friends and chat simultaneously, thanks to its chatting features. Now, we’ll tell you about how to download, install and use the Netflix Party extension to sync movie-watching with your gang.
To host a Netflix Watch Party
Whoever you are inviting to watch a movie or series with you, needs to have a Netflix account. You can even do a good deed by sharing your Netflix account with two to four other members, based on your subscription plan. Everyone has to login to Netflix on their computers; they’ll need to download the Netflix Party extension by visiting netflixparty.com through Google Chrome browser. Now click on ‘Get Netflix Party for free’. You’ll be taken to the Google Chrome web store to download the extension. Click on add to Chrome. A pop-up will appear on the screen asking you to select ‘Add Extension’. Now a grey NP icon will be fixed in your browser toolbar. To start the party, all you need to do is:
- Open a new tab in your Google Chrome browser and log in to your Netflix account.
- Find a show or movie you’d like to watch and click on it.
- You’ll notice that the NP (Netflix Party) icon has turned red. Click on it and select ‘Start the party’. As a host, you have the option to be the only controller pausing and playing the video, or you can let anyone from the group take control.
- The invite URL will appear in a pop-up box. You need to send it to everyone you want to invite for the watch party. Chat room on the right side of the screen will let you see when someone joins the party.
Now you are all set to enjoy the movie or shows with your friends! Though, it’s not exactly like the real experience of going to theatres with friends. But it has all the features to fill the void of enjoying movies with friends.
2. Amazon Watch Party
Amazon Prime Video’s watch party accommodates up to 100 people in a group. But they all must be Prime members. At present, it’s only available on desktop and doesn’t support for Safari and Microsoft Edge (formerly known as Internet Explorer) browsers. Also, unlike Netflix Watch Party, only the host can pause, fast forward, or rewind in Amazon Watch Party.
To host an Amazon Watch Party
Open the detail page of your selected video and look for the ‘Watch Party’ button next to the ‘Watchlist’ button. Click on the button. In the right-hand column, decide what name you want to use within the chat and enter it. Click on ‘Create Watch Party’. Now your movie will play in the center of the screen and on the right will be your chat area and settings tab. By going into settings, you can copy and share your Watch Party link or end the party.
To join an Amazon Watch Party, your friends will have to click on the link or invite you to have sent them. They’ll be redirected to Prime Video and will be asked to enter a username. Once done with that, they can click on ‘Join Watch Party’. Voila! You’ll be enjoying movies with your friends.
3. Zoom Watch Party
This is the most flexible option to host a watch party. Where the other streaming services require everyone to have an active account to participate, the Zoom method just requires one person or the host with an account to share his/her screen. By now, we all have become vividly familiar with the mechanics of Zoom as we use it so much for our official meetings while we work from home. Still, we are putting it down for those who are new to this platform.
To host a Zoom Watch Party
Queue up the video you want to watch and start a Zoom meeting. Click the Share Screen button on the bottom of the Zoom window. A pop-up will let you select which application you want to share. Select the browser window that has the video in it. But hold on! Before you click on ‘share’, enable ‘Share computer sound’ and ‘Optimize screen sharing for video clip’ by ticking on checkboxes. Now click ‘Share’ and you’re all set.
However, the biggest drawback of Zoom Watch Party is – if the host is using its free version, watch party is limited to only 40 minutes which can spoil the fun while you are watching a movie with your friends. So, it’s better to get the subscription for a seamless watch party experience.
4. Disney+ Hotstar Watch Party
With the collaboration of Disney+ and Hotstar, the streaming service became a big competitor for Netflix. With all the magical Disney movies, which are famous for children and adults, this streaming service is the perfect option for you. You can relive your childhood days of watching Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, Finding Nemo or simply go on a binge-fest of all your favourite Marvel movies.
How To Host?
For organising a watch party, you will need to install extensions on the browsers of everyone who wishes to join the party. TwoSeven is the perfect Chrome extension for Disney+ Hotstar. To add this to your browser, follow these steps:
- Install the TwoSeven extension for Chrome or Firefox, depending on which browser you are using.
- Once the extension is added, create an account on TwoSeven to develop and host all your friends’ viewing rooms. For this, head to their official website. Make sure once you have created your account, you verify it. Otherwise, you won’t be able to watch your movies.
- Now, open Disney+ Hotstar and select the movie/series you want to watch. For your friends to be able to watch with you, they should also be logged in. Once you are on the website, click on the TwoSeven extension of the browser and follow the instructions to host the viewing party.
- Once you picked your choice of movie/series, you can watch it with your friends in the viewing room on your TwoSeven account.
Among the many versatile features that come with this extension, the most notable and unique feature allows you to have little video chat boxes on everyone’s screen while the movie is played. This is perfect if you want to see your friend’s reactions making this virtual viewing party as close to reality as possible.
5. Youtube Watch Party
YouTube is a mind of videos on almost everything. Thus, whether it is for educational, fitness, or cooking purpose, you will find a video for it right here. And what makes watching these videos more fun? Watching and trying recipes or exercises with your friends!
How To Host?
This is where the Youtube Watch Party comes in. You don’t need a third-party extension for hosting watch parties on Youtube as the channel has its own by the name of YouTube Party. And it is easy breezy to use:
- Install the extensions on the browsers of everyone interested.
- Browse the video you all want to watch together. Click on the extension, or the option of Youtube Party will show on the screen.
- Click on ‘Start the Party’ and voila.
- Share the link of that with your friends. Make sure they are logged on Youtube. They can join without any hassle and enjoy the video with you.