Best homestays in Chikmagalur
Think of Chikmagalur, and the picture that comes to mind is the beautiful green hills and the fresh aroma of coffee. This scenic hill station encompasses all you need for a relaxed holiday or a weekend getaway . If you’ve been planning to visit Karnataka’s Land of Coffee for some time now, well, there’s no better time than the present.
To save you the trouble of researching the perfect place to stay, we’ve put together the finest Chikmagalur homestay list. Read on!
Why pick a homestay over a hotel?
Unlike a hotel where your interaction begins and ends at being a ‘customer’, you’re treated as a guest (or as a family member in some) in a homestay. This is the perfect way to soak up the culture and traditions of the place.
Since the hosts of a Chikmagalur homestay have been living in the area for a long time, they’re able to direct you to non-touristy gems in and around the hill station. Last but not least, you’ll get to sample traditional recipes that have been passed down from one generation to another.
Some everyday activities you’ll find at most Chikmagalur homestays:
- Indoor & outdoor games
- Coffee plantation tours
- A visit to essential tourist places
- Fun picnics
Tip: Before you take off for your trip, remember to book the homestay of your choice in advance as, during the peak season, these tend to get full quickly. Your digibank by DBS debit card will help make the booking process easy, and you may even be able to avail exclusive discounts.
1. Thotadhahalli Homestay
The Thotadhahalli Homestay is located in the lap of nature and is perfect for those looking for a peaceful homestay near Chikmagalur. While the exterior resembles that of a traditional Chikmagalur residence, the interiors are filled with gorgeous antiques.
- What’s Special: Learn a lot about the Malnad tradition (vokkaliga), including their culture and food.
- Address: Post Thotadhahalli Estate, Kaimara P, Karnataka – 577131.
- Price: Starts from Rs. 3,250.
2. Thippanahalli Homestay
Those who enjoy history and luxury together will fall in love with the Thippanahalli Homestay in Chikmagalur. This heritage bungalow is over 230 years old and retains its charm of the eras gone by while offering top-notch modern amenities.
- What’s Special: A splendid view of the coffee plantations and hills around.
- Address: 160, Thippanahalli Estate, Chikmagalur, Karnataka – 577101.
- Price: Starts from Rs. 2,750.
3. The Coffee Bean Homestay
Another heritage home on the list, The Coffee Bean Homestay, is the perfect home away from home. It’s a luxurious homestay with a beautiful courtyard with a fireplace, private balconies, and more. For reading aficionados, there’s a tiny personal library.
- What’s Special: Fishing in the private lake. Separate kitchens for Veg. and Non-Veg. food.
- Address: Chandrabetta Estate, Malandur Post, Chikmagalur, Karnataka – 577130.
- Price: Starts from Rs. 3,000.
4. The Hidden Valley
Imagine waking up in the middle of a coffee estate with the rich aroma of raw coffee beans. That’s the unique experience The Hidden Valley offers. There’s a lot to do here, including boat rides on the private lake, petting cuddly rabbits and going bird-watching.
- What’s Special: Boating in a private lake, mini-farm, located at a 30-acre coffee estate.
- Address: Handi-Machagondanahally, 20KM Chikmagalur-Mudigere Road, Chikmagalur, Karnataka – 577111.
- Price: Starts from Rs. 1,500.
5. Devigiri Homestay
If you’re on a tight budget, then look no further than the Devigiri Homestay. This is the best budget homestay in Chikmagalur. It is surrounded by nearly 50 acres of the coffee estate. When here, you can enjoy a panoramic view of the majestic Western Ghats on one end and the vast coffee plantations on the other. If you can spend a little more and are feeling adventurous , the Devigiri Homestay also offers treehouse accommodations.
- What’s Special: Spectacular views
- Address: Devigiri Estate, Hosa Road, Arasinaguppe, Chikmagalur Mallenalli Post, Karnataka – 577131.
- Price: Starts from Rs. 1,200.
6. Forest Homestay — Maradi
If you want to go camping in the heart of Chikmagalur with the convenience of modern amenities nearby, the Forest Homestay — Maradi is the perfect location. While they offer tent accommodations, you can also pick a cottage accommodation if you wish. Enjoy the view of the scenic coffee estates around and the lush greenery of Mother Nature. You also get a tour of the coffee estate.
- What’s Special: Gorgeous views and fun camping experience
- Address: Forest Homestay, Maradi (V), Hangaravalli (P), Chikmagalur (T) (D), Karnataka – 577111.
- Price: Starts from Rs. 1,595.
Note: All prices are based on the amount charged per person and per night/day. These prices have been listed as of Feb 2021 and are subject to change.
With this list, we’re sure you’ll be able to find the homestay of your dreams. So, when are you headed out to Chikmagalur?