5 Best Places To Visit In Winter In India
There’s a drop in the temperature that indicates a shift in the season. Yes, winter is here, which makes us all crave for an unforgettable getaway. However, most of us are still scared to leave our homes due to the pandemic. Don’t worry; thankfully, it’s safe to travel now as long as you take all necessary precautions such as wearing a mask, maintaining social distancing, sanitizing your hands regularly, etc. This means nothing can stop you from exploring mountain peaks to tropical beaches to India’s rich ancient heritage in your favourite season.
Here we have listed five beautiful winter destinations that you can visit during the season to make it easier for you. So, what are you waiting for? Go ahead, start packing your bags. Also, get an excellent discount on flight ticket booking with EaseMyTrip – pay with your digibank debit card.
1. Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh, India
Dharamshala or the Land of Lamas tops the chart when we talk about must-visit destinations in India. Especially during winters. Located at a distance of 18 km from Kangra city, Dharamsala is visited by travellers worldwide for its beauty and rich Tibetan culture. Dalai Lama, the Buddhist leader, came to India in 1959 and transformed Dharamsala into the little Lhasa (Place of God). Visit Dharamsala to find peace, joy and enlightenment.
How to reach?
- The nearest airport from Dharamsala is at Gaggal (around 13 km away). You can take a taxi from the airport for Dharamsala.
- A train journey is an excellent option to reach Dharamsala. The nearest central railway station is at Pathankot (85 km away). A taxi or bus from Pathankot will help you reach Dharamshala.
Best places to stay: Nature Bloom Hotel and Resort, Hotel Deodar Villa, Mcleodganj Homestay
Tourist attractions: Triund Hill, Dalai Lama Temple Complex, Kangra Valley, Gyuto Monastery, and Bhagsu Waterfall
2. Munnar, Kerala, India
This popular hill-station is in Kerala – God’s city. Munnar’s tea estates, several shades of green, blankets of mist and mountain peaks have earned it the title of ‘Kashmir of South India’. It is surrounded by Madupetti, Nallathanni and Periavaru rivers. Munnar beautifully boasts natural view-points apart from the tea-plantations.
How to reach?
- Cochin International Airport (125 km away) is the nearest airport from Munnar. The good thing is, it is well-connected with major cities of India. You can quickly get a taxi from the airport for Munnar.
- If you are travelling by train, you can get down at Kochi or Ernakulam railway station. Hire a taxi service, and you are good to go!
Best places to stay: Deep Woods Resort, Tea County Munnar, Elysium Gardens Hill Resort
Tourist attractions: Eravikulam National Park, Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary, Kundala Lake, Attukad Waterfalls, and tea plantations
3. Gulmarg, Jammu & Kashmir, India
Thanks to Gulmarg’s location at an altitude of 2730 m above sea level, it’s the best destination to see snow throughout the year. However, if you are a winter sports enthusiast, you must visit Gulmarg between December and February when the temperature drops to as low as -4 degrees. Surrounded by the Himalayas, meadows of flowers and evergreen forested valleys, Gulmarg is home to the world’s second-highest Gondola ride. Due to the Indian Institute of Skiing and Mountaineering, it is also known as an adventure hub. You must have witnessed Gulmarg’s scenic beauty in many Bollywood films.
How to reach?
- Srinagar Airport is the nearest airport from Gulmarg which is located at a distance of 56 km. You can take a local taxi or cab to reach the destination.
- Jammu is the closest rail station from Gulmarg which is accessible from all major cities and towns. Once you get down at Jammu railway station, you can easily find a bus or taxi to reach Gulmarg.
Best places to stay: Hotel Pine Spring, The Vintage Gulmarg, The Khyber Himalayan Resort & Spa
Tourist attractions: Strawberry Field, Banibal Nag, Alpather Lake, Gulmarg Biosphere Reserve, Khilanmarg, and Apharwat Peak
4. Kutch, Gujarat, India
Kutch, the white desert of India, is known for its legacy of grandeur. It is probably one of the most beautiful and surreal destinations in India. The winter seasons add to the beauty of this place which makes it a must-visit destination. Apart from this, travellers visit Kutch to witness the renowned Rann Festival held during December-February. This is the perfect time to indulge in adventure sports like hot-air ballooning and explore the ethnic charm of Kutch. What’s more, traditional cuisine, shopping, folk dances and cultural performances, star gazing, desert safari and several other activities will undoubtedly please the wanderer in you.
How to reach?
- The nearest airport is in Bhuj, which is around 53 km from Kutch and 80 km from the Rann desert. You can book a vehicle to reach Kutch.
- As Kutch doesn’t have its railway station, you will have to get down at the Bhuj’s railway station, which is well-connected with most major cities. Look for a vehicle or cab to reach Kutch from Bhuj.
Best places to stay: HV Beach Hotel, Vijay Vilas Heritage Resort, and White Rann Resort
Tourist attractions: Mandvi Beach, Rann of Kutch, Dholavira and Kutch Desert Wildlife Sanctuary
5. Gokarna, Karnataka India
This land of palm trees, blue seas and golden sands have everything to be in your list of must-visit places. Situated on the coast of Karwar – a city of Uttara Kannada district, Gokarna welcomes tourists worldwide. Between October and February, the humid weather takes a backseat, making it the best time to pay a visit to Gokarna. If you want to go on a peaceful and low essential beach holiday, now you know where to go!
How to reach?
- Goa’s Dabolim airport is the nearest (about 140 km away) from Gokarna. From the airport, taxi services are readily available.
- The nearest railway station is at Ankola (about 20 km away). It welcomes trains from several cities including Mangalore, Mumbai, Thiruvananthapuram, etc. From the station, you can take a taxi to reach the destination.
Best places to stay: R K Beach Cottage, Stone Wood Nature Resort, Zostel, Sanskruti Resort
Tourist attractions: Kudle Beach, Mirjan Fort, Bhadrakali Temple, Lalguli Falls, and Gokarna Beach
Please Note: Please thoroughly read the Covid-19 guidelines issued by the state you plan to visit.